Friday, October 23, 2009

Freedom to Love the Swedish Defenseman...or Americanized Communism?

Yesterday, while at Channel 2, one of the anchors and I were sitting in the news van at police headquarters waiting to go in. Once I caught on that he was a huge hockey buff, we started talking about the Sabres, of course. 

It went into talking about the Atlanta game, because really at this point the Florida game only brings on " dear god that was amazing." Somehow, without immediately professing my love for him, I mentioned how Patty was not at fault for that game. 

And he agreed, for a change. No one agrees with me, except for Shelby....who either really believes that it wasn't Patty's fault, or just fears of saying otherwise to me. But we went on about how Patty, who is no longer starting goalie material (and I fully admit that, but he was one hell of a starter) is an excellent back up and should be treated as such. Adam Mair didn't play well in his first game of the season, but no one is jumping on his case (they're probably afraid to). 

And for the first time in I can't tell you how long, he agreed with me about MAX! Not that he had no right to be booed because he was forced out of this city, or that it was spectacular that his first goal was against us (his second was last night, for those who care)....but that he was never a ' problem' for this team, but rather this team was a problem for him. He had such talent that didn't necessarily blend with this team, but rather than putting an effort to make things work, they just gave up on him. Suddenly, HE was the problem. 

Not only was I stoked that I found someone that can see that Patty and Max are not as problematic or as terrible as so many people claim, but it got me thinking that maybe I'm so excited to get to talk about these things, because I can never have a pleasant conversation related to these subjects. 

I cannot tell you how many friendships I've lost over stupid hockey things, or how many fights it has started. It's pathetic, trust me, I know it is, especially at my age. A vast majority of my friends I have met because of the Sabres, and a lot of times I'll keep my mouth shut on certain hockey related things to avoid a fight. Not to say that they don't, I'm sure there are plenty of times they have done the same. 

However, I rarely feel comfortable speaking honestly about what I do and don't like about that team, because I'm either going to get insulted, shut down, degraded, yelled at...etc. Especially since I don't fit in with so many cookie cutter routines of this team. 

I hate Pominville.

 Not personally, he's a nice guy. But, I think playing wise he is draining this team and isn't what he use to be. Don't give me that ' oh he had a bad season' crap because Max had a bad season and he was chased out of the city. 

I love Hank. 

This is probably more for his adorableness rather than playing. I know he's had a bad stretch of time, but in seven short games we have learned that he is not going to let that trend continue. A number of people I know do adore him, but he gets ' spanked' a lot, as Bucky would say. 

I think Miller is overrated (and he's not alone)

I know I can't be alone in this, but I never hear it from others (except yesterday in the news van). I don't think his overrating is anything he is personally doing, because he probably wouldn't allow it. But, he is. I do think he is a moderately talented goalie, and is fine on this team, but lets stop bowing down to him. It's really starting to wear off. 

Back up goalies get no lovin'. 

It started when Marty became the back up goalie, then went to everyone forgetting who TBO was, now we're at Patty Cake. It cannot be put in more simple terms...you can be a great goalie- even if its a back up goalie- but if you're benched for long stretches of time, you're not going to come out shining on the other end. Patty didn't play fantastic his first game, I know. But he hadn't played since the end of September...and I won't even go into our defense that night. When he had to be starter last season, he had a shaky start, but then did great. I almost feel like he's our whipping boy....most of his games will likely be when Ryan blows it. Then, when we lose that game, Patty will get blame over Ryan, when he was trying to dig the game out of the hole. 

And didn't TBO shut out almost every time he played two seasons ago?


The Sabres are such a charity case. 

I'm sure this pisses off a lot of people, too, more than the other rants. We trade players like Al and Marty and Danny and what have you. And for what? Useless draft picks, players that leave weeks later....CRAP basically. Danny and Marty can be argued, I'm sure, even though they still bug me. Players are not judged properly around here, that's for sure. Two players can perform the same way, and only one is going to get attention, whether it be negative or positive, for it. 



Unfortunately, the outlook on this team will probably never change. Miller will still be God, Pominville will still be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and Tyler Myers will still get interviewed every times he performs the magic that is converting oxygen to carbon dioxide. 

4 comments:

  1. I really don't think Patty was to blame at all for the game on Saturday. We saw how much the defense broke down and we've seen it a lot on this team when they don't have enough faith in the backup. I don't understand why they completely fall apart in front of the backup. Ryan has his faults too, as we have discussed many times.

    You know how Pominville is one of my favorite players, but I don't mind if you hate him. He does have his incredibly stupid moments (oh, the amount of posts he hit last year) but I'm still going to support him even though last year was pretty bad in the goal scoring department.

    I think the only time I have bitched out at friends over the Sabres is when standing up for Thomas because I had a lot of friends telling me he sucked in the past few years. At least two seasons ago when he wasn't off to a great start, which I completely understand, but give the guy a little more credit. They acted as if he asked for a multi million dollar contract. It was so nice that some of the haters stfu'd last year when he was playing great hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Miller is overrated

    ...nope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete