Thursday, September 10, 2009

Commitment Issues and Giant Zambonis

I know what you're thinking...what is she dong up this early? Well, my tummy decided that 5 am was as late as I had to go this morning, which was complete shit. I only have class until 9:30 (to which I will then rush to the Pepsi Center one last time) but I can already feel the pain. 

It's okay, naps are becoming regular routine with me. 

So, I'm killing time by painting my fingernails lime green (to match my toenails). I was warned that its a bad idea before going in to such a professional setting on Saturday. But, I don't consider half naked hockey players ' professional' (even when they're clothed, it's a tough call). 

I also spent some time changing the template (haha, again!). Honestly, I don't think I'm ever going to be happy with it, so don't get too comfortable. I just hope this isn't a preview of my married life...though the Sabres likely are. 

Oh! Somewhat fun news. Somewhere in the course of yesterday, one of my teachers made me sign up for the internship class and is now working to get me a sports reporting internship at Channel 2 (he's a hardcore guy, he didn't even know my name before we did all this). I don't watch the news too often, but I only watch Channel 2. I don't know why, I just love them. Our broadcasting class 2-ish years ago took a trip there for the 5 o'clock news and I was on the edge of my seat with bright eyes and all that jazz. 

And sports? Lets face it, five minutes in they'll realize I know about as much as football as Yo-Yo knows about baseball and HOPEFULLY stick me with the Sabres (look at me! I haven't even been interviewed yet!). Either way, I have a thing for Adam Benigni, not like that, he just seems like a cool guy. He kind of reminds me of Adam Mair (seriously, go look at it, he does) so I think that I can be reminded of Mair without being scared is always a perk. 

Speaking of Adam Mair, I am starting to mentally prepare to cover the Puck Drop. For anyone who doesn't know, last year was pretty scary for me, and I tried to dodge the bullet this year. But, part of being an unpaid intern is that no one gives a shit about you. 

Though, looking back on last season, I am going to avoid/do things that I didn't do last September. For example...

- Eat breakfast. I think Natey P and I will both be thankful for that one. 
- When I asked who I want to interview, I won't answer honestly. Last year, I asked for Hank and got Adam. So, this year maybe if I ask for Steve Montador, I'll get Patty (I probably won't, I'll probably get Steve Montador). 
- Avoid Adam Mair all together. He'll likely be there, and not skating so more chances to encounter him. But, post hip surgery, there's a good chance I'm faster than him. 
- NOT peer into the locker room when they stand me in the hallway. In all fairness to them, the chances that a 20-something intern is in the hallway and sees THAT are rather slim, but it can be easily avoided, and thus, should. 
- Smack Drew Stafford. This I did not do last season (I'm not even sure if I saw him) but I think it serves a purpose this year. I learned to love him over this off season, but the love was not returned. Also, I feel like if I do it in front of Toni, Hank, Patty, Craigy...whoever else is up at the end of this coming season, they'll think ' wow, we shouldn't do what he did, she'll get mad.' Yes, she will. 
- Somehow ask Craigy his favorite sweet. Shelby and I are going to spend Saturday night making a birthday treat for Sunday, and it would be nice to go in a direction of something he likes (though everyone like chocolate cake, it'd be nice to do something special). I'm not sure how I could squeeze that in there...asking about the changes to the blue line, an old teammate returning, chocolate vs. vanilla? Maybe this would be easier if they asked HIM that during the ten stupid questions thing. 

Ugh.

On a closing note, I saw this on another blog....


First off, let me just say that is my DREAM...a zamboni get away on a city street (it doesn't have to be Manhattan, and I'm not sure there is such thing as getting away on a zamboni, but in comparison to my old car, it's a good start). I like to think this wasn't staged...he got bored, and went off on it. And when he returned, there were a number of tourists wedged under that bad boy. But, I'm probably not that lucky.

I've always had a soft spot for Ovie (mostly because he's not Crosby). He seems to be an easy going guy, and always up for a joke, or something silly.



Though I'm sure his antics are easily spotlighted because he's Russian and all, and Russians don't do this kind of thing, I think he has some tough competition. 

Ovie, buy some leopard print pants, and we'll talk. 



However, I don't recommend it. 

3 comments:

  1. OHHH I love that pic of Staffy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole video, I thought for sure his pants were going to rip...eee.

    You know that I will be praying for you on Saturday. If anything happens, let me know, and I'll get Craigory's attention to back you up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see it now. You standing up in the crowd ' GO CRAIGORY! GO! FIND THE FRENCHIE!" while he's on the ice.

    ReplyDelete